Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Prague! (part two)

One of the things Prague is known for is its jazz scene so, being a new jazz fan after my Amsterdam experience, I decided I would find some jazz to listen to. I had read a couple reviews of a jazz cellar called Agharta so I set off to find it, which was much easier said than done. The difficulty was partly due to the maze-like nature of old town Prague and partly due to my complete lack of knowledge of the Czech language. Amazingly, I seem to usually find what I'm looking for even after being lost and it didn't take too long to find Agharta. And I was not disappointed.

There's a sign for Agharta on the street but you have to go through a small passage into what is almost an indoor courtyard and then down a series of tight, low-ceiling stairs. I had to duck in a couple places to avoid hitting my head. I went to the bar, got a bar, and then settled in to enjoy the show. Which I did. It was not quite the same atmosphere as the jazz bar in Amsterdam, this one was much more subdued. The Amsterdam show was a good place to be drinking with friends; Prague would have been better to take a date or your parents to. Interestingly, the upright bass player looked a lot like Robert's friend Meltzer.

The show was over at 1AM and since I had to drive to Budapest the next day, I headed back to the hostel to get ready for the drive and then hit the sack.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous that you get to do all this traveling and all I do is travel to and from class and the library...

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear you've become a jazz fan. Any particular artists or sub genres you like most?
(my personal fave) John Coltrane is a jazz god. And The Miles Davis quintet always makes the panties drop.