Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bad News Bears pt II

Well we lost in softball again today. It's almost comical. But it's still fun. I was 2 for 3 with a 2-RBI sac fly and two doubles. The score was somewhere in the range of 23-11. Oh well.

On a more pleasant note, I'm trying to become more creative with the way I prepare the food they serve in the chow hall. Yesterday was grilled chicken day at lunch and the chicken they serve is bland, tasteless, and dry. Usually, they'll only serve us one chicken breast, but I winked and smiled my way to two. She thought I was weird for not wanting a bun (the buns they serve in the line are dry, generic wonderbread-type and taste like sawdust), but I had better plans. One I cut up into smaller pieces and made a grilled chicken salad with. The other I smothered in a sauce I mixed up with mustard, hot sauce, and something called "Buffalo Bob's Anything Sauce" which is supposedly good on anything but tastes horrid by itself. One thing the food service people do right is put out locally-made breads in the salad line. I grabbed one that looks more like the kind of bun you'd find at the Tap Room in San Marcos or maybe Honey-B-Ham in Conroe. Anyway I tore it in half, toasted it, then used that for my bun, and added cheese, lettuce, and onions. I know that's not gonna win me any cooking awards but there's not much to work with. Since I arrived here, I haven't seen one American do anything similar. Maybe they know something about the bread that I don't but as far as I'm concerned, it tastes better and at least makes the meal more interesting.

This week I've been watching the HBO miniseries John Adams, based on the book by David McCullough. It is excellent and provides a lot of insight into a President who is often slighted for the Alien and Sedition acts but arguably articulated the best case for independence from Great Britain.

That's all for now. Off to the gym with me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey coleman,
sounds like your team is getting better at least. and congrats on making the food somewhat better. when do you get your jeep?