Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bad News Bears

Another exciting (sarcasm) weekend in Kosovo! It was pretty laid back except our softball team had two games this weekend. Yesterday was a makeup for last Monday which was rained out. We got beat although I was 1 for 2. We lost again this afternoon to a slightly ridiculous score of 21-6. Our team is at a slight disadvantage in that we really don't have any time to practice outside of our games. Me being a civilian contractor, I only work 8 hour days but all the Army guys are on 12-hour shifts so our games are our practices. We're learning to play better as a team but there are still a lot of kinks to work out. We've got another game tomorrow evening so hopefully things will come together.

Other than softball, it was a pretty low-key weekend. Went to the gym on Saturday and got a good little workout in to get loosened up for the softball game. There haven't been any good movies at the theater in the last week so I made some progress through all the DVDs I've bought since I got here. I watched The Kite Runner which was really good and really sad. I still haven't read the book so now I'll have to go buy it. And I watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which I'd recommend to anyone reading this. I read the book for a class back in school and it's a sad but very inspiring story.

That's all that's been going on. The next few weeks should provide a little excitement. I'm working on a briefing for the commanding general so that will keep me busy at work and I'm also in the process of buying a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It's on hold for me in Germany and it will be an interesting adventure going to pick it up. It looks like I'll be going over Labor Day weekend (which means nothing in Europe), flying up to Germany and then driving back across Europe over about 3 days. I've tentatively mapped out a route that takes me to Salzburg, Budapest, and Belgrade. I'll probably get lost or abducted by a roving band of gypsies but it should be fun. And yes, a Jeep Wrangler is probably not the most fuel efficient vehicle I could buy for driving around Europe but I'm living in a converted shipping container for free so I'm okay with it.

Hope everyone in Texas is having fun with the heat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats pretty exciting about your Jeep, but why aren't you getting a Volkswagen? I hear that they are pretty popular over there...