Monday, December 29, 2008

Post-Christmas, pre-New Year's update

To everyone who was concerned my Christmas would be a depressing event, worry not! While definitely not the traditional family Christmas I've been accustomed to, it was an enjoyable occasion.

Unless you're American (or an Albanian Catholic), Christmas in Macedonia isn't celebrated until January 7th (Macedonians are Orthodox). That meant I could still get some last-minute shopping done on the 25th without looking quite the pathetic procrastinator if I had done the same back in the States. I was thankful for that because shopping opportunities on Camp Bondsteel are quite limited if you're looking for something other than the average PX crap.

After the last minute shopping, I returned to my apartment, quickly wrapped presents, and got ready for the evening's festivities.

My coworker, Dave, and his wife Billy have more or less adopted this lost American and the benefits of that adoption have included various holiday parties and dinners. Billy had cooked up a storm for Christmas - the menu included roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, pumpkin pie, and homemade cookies. Not quite the spread I missed back home but definitely welcome and tasty. After stuffing our faces we exchanged presents and then watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, courtesy of my mother. I prefaced the movie by explaining that it was typical of all American Christmases and as proof I showed them a picture of the Christmas light display at the Smiths' house in Wroxton. All were suitably impressed.

We capped off the evening with two impromptu fireworks displays, the first off the balcony at Dave and Billy's apartment. The explosions were awesome but were accompanied by a horrific rotten eggs/sulfur odor. We then went across town to one of their friend's neighborhoods and set off some more rockets in honor of her father, who's birthday was on the 24th. We got some dirty looks from the neighbors but he enjoyed the hell out of it, as did we.

Interspersed with the fireworks and presents and food were alcoholic beverages aplenty so Christmas this year was celebrated in the famed Kneisley style.

Wednesday night brings New Year's Eve which, minus the presents, looks to be Christmas Part Deux. Photos are coming soon!

1 comment:

mollyb said...

Coleman, your Christmas celebration sounded nice. We missed you and thought about you often. Bill, Chase and I were glad to be in Texas for Christmas. If you are lucky, maybe your gifts from me will arrive by January 7, along with your birthday gift! I am glad that you have such good friends to take care of you in Kosovo! Bill and I just got back last night. We had a great time but I am sure everyone is glad to be back into their routine in Texas.
Love you very much!
Aunt Marti