Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hiking at Lake Matka


I'm serious about being better at updating the world with my travels, even if it's just to throw some pictures out there. It doesn't seem that long ago but, if I can trust my camera, about 4 and a half months ago we went to Lake Matka outside of Skopje to do some hiking.

This place was gorgeous and I'm kicking myself for not going sooner or since. Matka is an artificial lake which was dammed up in the 1950's to build a hydroelectric plant and now it's used as a recreational area. Other than St. Andrew's, which I have a couple pictures of, there are 3 or 4 other churches and monasteries in the vicinity, a couple of which require 900-foot climbs to reach. We didn't reach them that day but I want to go back sometime and make the climb. We kept to the lower trail which still had amazing views nonetheless.

At the end of our hike we had built up quite a thirst so of course we had to stop for my required beer.

No comments: