Monday, July 21, 2008

An Update!


For those of you who check this often, I apologize for not updating in a while. However, there really hasn't been much going on so you haven't really missed out.

The most significant recent events were last Thursday and tonight, Monday.

Last Thursday, CACI, the company I work for, sponsored a night dining off-post for its employees here on Camp Bondsteel. This is supposed to be a monthly event so I'm looking forward to those. We went to a place close to base called the "Kruja Restaurant". I have no idea what "kruja" means, whether it is someone's name or if it means something significant in Albanian, but the food was pretty good. I had the "Skenderbeg Sword" which is really a skewer of grilled beef and some vegetables covered in what I assume to be Skenderbeg sauce. It was pretty tasty. Most everyone else opted for the "filet mignon" and I use quotes because it definitely did not appear like any filet mignon I've seen in the States. And Albanians automatically cook their meat well-done so there wouldn't be any point in ordering it even if it was real filet mignon. I also had 9 Peja beers, which, after the first beer I ordered took 20 minutes to arrive, I ordered two at a time. CACI paid for everything so all in all, we had a really good time. Go see the pics here.

I signed up for the ACE (Analysis and Control Element - the office where I work) softball team and tonight we had our first game which we lost. In my one at-bat (we have a lot of people on the team), I hit a single to start a two-out rally in which we scored 3 runs. It was fun but also a weird sensation after not having played softball or baseball in over 10 years.

So that's all that's new with me. I'm planning on going down to Skopje for the weekend so maybe there will be some excitement down there.

2 comments:

mollyb said...

Coleman, I can just picture Bill ordering a "rare" steak in Kosovo! I loved the pics. I will write more later. I am going to DC tomorrow to attend a seminar on Friday and then, Bill is driving in on Friday and we hope to catch up with Todd and Steph on Friday night. Things are busy - Bill goes to our property all the time. Look on facebook - I put a picture taken the other evening.

Love you so much. Auntie Martini

Anonymous said...

Hey, FYI:

Skenderbeg (Gjergj Kastrioti) is the central figure of Albanian national identity. His base was Kruja, a city in central Albania.